If you meet any of the following criteria, you may be considered a Non-Traditional
- Out of school 5+ years
- Age 25+
- Have children/dependents other than a spouse
- Are an active reserve member or military veteran
- Employed 35+ hours per week while attending school
As we see it, you're bringing life experience and a different perspective to your
studies - something we consider to be an asset to both you and your classmates.
We welcome you to visit with us! Let us give you a personalized tour or arrange for
you to sit in on a college class.
Take a look at what our non-traditional student learners have to say about Allegany
College of Maryland!
We're here to help
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have been out of school for a long time and would like to start/return to college,
but don’t know where to start. Can you help me?
Yes! Please call 301-784-5234 for personalized assistance in getting started.
- Are virtual appointments available? Yes, We can meet via Teams or Zoom.
- Can I receive financial aid or a scholarships?
Yes, you may be eligible to receive both student financial aid and scholarships. You
will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) www.studentaid.gov
to apply for federal and state grants and/or student loans. This is also a required
step for most scholarships, even if you do not qualify for government aid. You can
apply for scholarships through the ACM Foundation by completing one application. You
will be auto-matched to the scholarships in which you meet the criteria. In addition
to receiving scholarships through the ACM Foundation, you may apply for scholarships
through community businesses and organizations.
- Does financial aid help pay for books??
It can. If you have financial aid left after your tuition and fees are paid, it can
be used to help pay for your books and other supplies through our campus bookstore.
- Does ACM offer child care?
No, but we can help you identify community resources to find childcare.