Allegany College of Maryland, the community's college in Allegany County and serving
Western Maryland and the surrounding region, was founded in 1961. In fall 1996, with
the College's role in the region continuing to expand, the College was renamed Allegany
College of Maryland to reflect changes in its mission.
We will be the college of choice that transforms lives, strengthens communities, and
makes learners the center of everything we do.
Allegany College of Maryland is a lifelong learning community dedicated to excellence
in education and responsive to the changing needs of the communities we serve. Our
focus is the preparation of individuals in mind, body, and spirit for lives of fulfillment,
leadership, and service in a diverse and global society. We are committed to engaging
students in rich and challenging learning opportunities within a small college atmosphere
that is known for its personal touch.
We improve through assessment.
We promote honesty and trust.
We foster dignity and worth.
We provide innovative choices.
We promote healthy lifestyles.
OUR MISSION-BASED GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- To provide convenient geographical access to post-secondary education to people within
the service region of the college.
- To provide financial access to a college education by assuring reasonable tuition
rates, comprehensive financial assistance, and college scholarship opportunities.
- To provide quality education and services, in a safe and comfortable environment,
at a reasonable cost.
- To support an environment that promotes quality teaching and learning.
- To promote a college that enhances lives and the community through education and service.
- To instill in our students a philosophy of lifelong learning.
- To foster a pro-learning campus environment that embraces the values of Allegany College
- To develop the technical competence, knowledge, and other essential skills that prepare
students for direct entry into the workforce, for career change and advancement, or
for transfer to another college or university.
- To continually assess our programs and services in order to promote and encourage
- In developing and implementing the offerings of the College, the Board of Trustees,
the faculty, and the staff have steadfastly held, and continue to hold, the following
- We believe in democracy as a way of life, and in both the freedoms and responsibilities
inherent in a democracy. We believe in preparation for active participation in a democracy.
- We believe that education is a process by which certain objectives of society are
- We believe that education is sustained, utilized, and protected by society.
- We believe that our college, as an essential and integral part of the American way
of life, has a direct relationship and responsibility to the community to serve as
a leader in educational thought and practice. To this end, the educational resources
of the institution are made available for use by the community.
- We believe that education embraces knowledge, training, and aspiration. Consequently,
we believe in the dissemination of knowledge, the liberation of minds, the development
of skills, the promotion of free inquiry, the encouragement of the creative or inventive
spirit, and the establishment of wholesome attitude toward order and change, with
an emphasis on ethical and legal concerns.
- We believe that we should educate broadly through a program of general education which
introduces the students to the basic fields of knowledge: the arts and humanities,
English composition, social and behavioral sciences, mathematics, and the biological
and physical sciences.
- We believe that it is our responsibility to guide students in the exercise of self-direction
and self-discipline in the solution of their problems, and to instill in them the
desire to continue education as long as they live.
- We believe that knowledge alone is not enough. Ethics is indispensable; therefore,
our program emphasizes appreciation of and response to beauty, truth, and justice,
thus contributing to the general cultural development of the community through the
- We believe in the cooperation of the College with all segments of its service area
and in the continual evaluation of the College, its purpose and program, to the end
that it may contribute to the maximum development of the individual and the area.