- Name: Allegany College of Maryland (ACM)
- Vision: We will be the college of choice that transforms lives, strengthens communities,
and makes learners the center of everything we do.
- Mission: We deliver diverse and relevant education centered around student success in a supportive
and engaging community.
- Affiliation: ACM is one of 16 colleges within the Maryland Association of Community Colleges.
- Accreditation: ACM is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, and accredited
and approved for operation by the Maryland Higher Education Commission. The Pennsylvania
Department of Education granted certification to ACM Bedford County Campus and its
- Founded: Established in 1961 as Allegany Community College, ACM was renamed in 1996.
- Community Prestige: ACM is one of two Maryland community colleges to receive the Carnegie Community Engagement
Classification. It participates in the Science Education Alliance - Phage Hunters
Advancing Genomics and Evolutionary Science program.
- Student Need: Over 80% of ACM students are first-generation college students.
- Local Educational Access: More than 50% of Allegany County individuals enrolled in a Maryland-based undergraduate
institution are enrolled at ACM.
- Consumer Satisfaction: Over 99% of ACM graduates were satisfied with their educational goal achievement,
with 100% of employers expressing satisfaction with their ACM-provided contract training.
- Economic Impact and Value: Independent economic analysis of ACM is conducted every five years. View a Fact Sheet or an Infographic for Emsi Burning Glass's recent analysis.
- Credit Program Enrollment: Student enrollment for credit courses was 2,831 (unduplicated headcount) in academic
- Continuing Education and Workforce Development Enrollment: 6,952 participants registered for 943 CEWD classes (325 open enrollment, 618 contract
training) in fiscal year 2022.
- Gender Distribution: 24.14% were male and 75.86% were female in academic year 2021.*
- Mean and Median Age: The mean age of credit students was 27.61 and the median age was 23 in academic year
- Race/Ethnicity Distribution: The student race distribution was 80.30% Caucasian, 10.70% African American, and 9.00%
Other Minority Group in academic year 2021.*
- Student Type: 34.63% were first-time students and 65.37% of students were returning students in fall
2021. 12.94% were first-time students and 87.06% were returning students in spring
- Student to Faculty Ratio: The student to faculty ratio was 11:1 for academic year 2021.
- Average Class Size: The average class size was 12 in academic year 2021.
- Residency: Enrollment consisted of 36.79% in-county students, 17.00% in-state students, and 46.21% out-of-state students in academic year 2021.*
- Enrollment Status: 37.65% were full-time and 62.35% were part-time students in spring 2022.*
- Financial Assistance: 91% of ACM students receive financial assistance. Total student financial support
was $15,500,000 in academic year 2021.
- Graduates: The number of graduates was 477 (earning 566 degrees and certificates) in fiscal year
- Sports: Nine athletic teams including baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s
cross country, men's and women's soccer, softball, and volleyball.
- Men's basketball team participated in the NJCAA National Tournament 13 times - 1985,
1986, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1996 (2nd), 1998, 2001 (2nd), 2002, 2003, 2009 and 2019.
- Baseball team participated in the NJCAA World Series nine times - 1984, 1990, 1991,
1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2006 and 2009.
- Women's basketball participated in the NJCAA National Tournament four times - 1986,
1993 (2nd), 2009 and 2011.
- Men's tennis participated in the NJCAA National Championships three times - 1971,
1976 and 1977.
- Degrees and Certificates: The college offers 31 two-year degree programs (AA, AS, AAS and AAT), 30 certificate
programs, and 10 letter of recognition programs.
- Locations: Seven locations in Cumberland, MD (main campus, School of Hospitality Management
and Culinary Arts, and Western Maryland Works), Everett, PA (Bedford County Campus
and Bedford County Technical Center), Somerset, PA (Somerset Education Site) and Oakland,
MD (Garrett County Nursing Site).
- Personnel: 98 full-time and 67 part-time faculty members, 30 non-credit instructors, 14 administrative
personnel, and 193 professional and support personnel as of fall 2022.
- ACCESS ACM: View our latest published edition of ACCESS ACM Magazine.
*Excluding Early College/Dual Enrollment students.