- Name: Allegany College of Maryland (ACM)
- Vision: We will be the college of choice that transforms lives, strengthens communities,
and makes learners the center of everything we do.
- Mission: We deliver diverse and relevant education centered around student success in a supportive
and engaging community.
- Affiliation: ACM is one of 16 colleges within the Maryland Association of Community Colleges.
- Accreditation: ACM is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, and accredited
and approved for operation by the Maryland Higher Education Commission. The Pennsylvania
Department of Education has granted certification to ACM Bedford County Campus and
its academic programs.
- Founded: Originally established in 1961 as Allegany Community College, ACM was renamed in
- Credit Program Enrollment: Student enrollment for credit courses was 2,249 in spring 2021.
- Continuing Education and Workforce Development Enrollment: 6,115 participants registered for 10,656 CEWD classes in fiscal year 2020.
- Gender Distribution: 25.12% were male and 74.88% were female in academic year 2020.*
- Mean and Median Age: The mean age of credit students was 26.74 and the median age was 22 in academic year
- Race/Ethnicity Distribution: The student race distribution was 80.02% Caucasian, 11.91% African American, and 8.06%
Other Minority Group in spring 2021.*
- Student Type: 12.34% were first-time students and 87.66% of students were returning students in
- Residency: Enrollment consisted of 41.25% in-county students, 17.37% in-state students, and 41.38%
out-of-state students in spring 2021.*
- Enrollment Status: 43.49% were full-time and 56.51% were part-time students in spring 2021.*
- Graduates: The number of graduates was 557 (earning 636 degrees and certificates) in fiscal year
- Student to Faculty Ratio: The student to faculty ratio was 11:1 for spring 2021.
- Average Class Size: The average class size was 14 in spring 2021.
- Sports: Eight athletic teams including: baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and
women’s cross country, soccer, softball, and volleyball.
- Finances and Financial Aid: Current unrestricted revenues in fiscal year 2020: 46.2% in student tuition and fees,
22.9% from state government, 27.4% from local government, and 3.5% from miscellaneous
- Total student financial support was $15,201,624 in academic year 2020.
- 93% of students receive financial assistance.
- Degrees and Certificates: The college offers 28 two-year degree programs (A.A., A.S., A.A.S. and A.A.T.), 29
certificate programs, and 10 letter of recognition programs.
- Locations: Six convenient locations in Cumberland, MD (main campus and School of Hospitality
Management and Culinary Arts), Everett, PA (Bedford County Campus and Bedford County
Technical Center), Somerset, PA (Somerset Education Site), and Oakland, MD (Garrett
County Nursing Site).
- Personnel: There were 95 full-time faculty members, 71 part-time faculty members, 34 non-credit
instructors, 13 administrative personnel, and 175 professional and support personnel
in spring 2021.
- Economic Impact and Value: Independent economic analysis of ACM is conducted every five years. View a Fact Sheet or an Infographic for Emsi Burning Glass's recent analysis.
- ACCESS ACM: View our latest published edition of ACCESS ACM Magazine.
*Excluding Early College/Dual Enrollment students.