(Click to watch the video)
Allegany College of Maryland and Allegany County Public Schools have been awarded a joint Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) grant to
develop a one-time, teacher education, early college cohort.
- This MSDE grant provides opportunities for 10th & 11th grade students that will be
juniors and seniors in the fall 2023 academic year from Mountain Ridge, Allegany,
and Fort Hill High Schools.
- Students who are interested in all areas of teaching are encouraged to apply for this
early college pathway.
- Students and their parents/guardians will be invited to recruiting events in March
and April of 2023.
- Students admitted to this pathway will begin working towards their associate degree
in Teacher Education while still in high school.
March 9, 2023 @ 6:00PM
- Allegany College of Maryland - Humanities Building, Room 24 (Teacher Education Classrooms)
- Sessions TBD at each partnering ACPS high school location
Benefits of Participation
- FREE tuition for early college courses
- FREE early college textbooks and course materials
- FREE laptop
- Fast track towards obtaining teacher certification
- Teacher Education peer mentors
- College advisors at both ACM and high schools
- Membership in ACM’s teacher education club (TEACh)
- Access to all student support services at ACM
- Transfer advising to Frostburg State University and other Maryland four-year universities
- Small class sizes with 1-1 instructor attention
- After high school graduation, a variety of scholarship opportunities at ACM, as well
as other financial aid options
Why Teach in Maryland?
The State of Maryland has committed to a minimum salary of $60,000 for beginning teachers
starting in 2026. Teacher shortages exist in all subject areas in our state and across
the country. In order to manage the teacher shortage and to improve equity and acceleration
of student achievement, Maryland has instituted The Blueprint for Maryland’s Future.
This historic initiative calls for preparing highly effective, diverse teachers to
ensure achievement and success for all students. This $3.8 billion-dollar, ten-year
investment raises not only teaching salaries, but also increases teaching resources,
while elevating the teaching profession.
Program Information on ACM's
Meet the Faculty
Our experienced, knowledgeable faculty are excited to share their expertise with you
and prepare you to succeed in the diverse, dynamic field of Teacher Education.