What will you learn?
- The workings of the core components of the criminal justice system—policing, corrections,
- The challenges criminal justice professionals encounter and ethical ways to resolve
- Many of the skills necessary to work in criminal justice.
What will you do?
- Network with other criminal justice professionals.
- Gain a diverse education in the area of criminal justice.
- Use the tools of the criminal justice profession—such as restraints, biometric analysis
tools, and other tools.
- Experience what it is like to work in the field of criminal justice.
Discover what others are saying about ACM Criminal Justice – click an image below.
The Criminal Justice Program at Allegany College of Maryland provides students with
numerous educational program and opportunities tailored to their particular learning/career
Regardless of which track best suits your future goals, students in the Criminal Justice
Program have the opportunity to:
- Experience hands-on learning in the Criminal Justice Lab. This lab includes fingerprinting technology; microscopes; a crime scene set up;
and other hands-on learning tools.
- Utilize tools of the Criminal Justice profession. In certain courses, students will have the option to train on the use of restraints
including handcuffs, leg irons, and other restraints, as well as an opportunity to
simulate inmate transport using our ACM mock cell.
- Experience testifying and participating in a Courtroom. ACM has a newly furnished Courtroom which will allow students the opportunity to
practice testifying and gain courtroom skills.
- Meet and interact with criminal justice professionals. Throughout our classes, students have numerous opportunities to meet police officers,
correctional officers and other criminal justice professionals through class visits,
class field trips to state and federal prisons, ride-along opportunities, and the
annual Law Day celebration.
- Work with faculty with vast and diverse criminal justice experience. Our faculty, with diverse backgrounds including corrections, community corrections,
addictions treatment and the law, provide our students with a unique approach to their
classes and are able to share their own personal experiences.
The Criminal Justice Program at Allegany College of Maryland will empower students
to positively impact the criminal justice field at the local, state, and national
levels by providing an enduring curriculum which focuses on lifelong learning and
excellence in instruction.
Program Goals & Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to read, analyze, and apply criminal justice texts, laws, and
Students will be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing as required
by criminal justice professionals.
Students will recognize common ethics-related situations encountered by criminal justice
professionals, and will be prepared to respond appropriately.
Students will be prepared to work in the criminal justice field with sensitivity and
recognition of cultural and socioeconomic differences.
Students will demonstrate mastery of the discipline of criminal justice.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to locate, analyze and apply criminal justice
resources including various types of law.
- Students will create criminal-justice artifacts using accurate facts, grammar, syntax,
and appropriate source citation.
- Students will demonstrate the basic skills required and effective oral communication
skills expected of entry-level criminal justice professionals.
- Students will demonstrate an ability to effectively resolve ethical dilemmas encountered
by criminal justice professionals.
- Students will articulate the unique issues encountered by diverse populations.
- Students will demonstrate factual knowledge about the core components of the criminal
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply the required steps utilized in scene
search and forensic methods in order to evaluate various types of evidence.
Our recent career track graduates have obtained employment with Maryland State Police,
Maryland Department of Juvenile Services, Cumberland City Police, Frostburg City Police,
as well numerous other agencies.
Our recent transfer track graduates have successfully transferred to numerous four
Meet the Faculty
Our experienced, knowledgeable faculty are excited to share their expertise with you
and prepare you to succeed in the diverse, dynamic, lawful field of Criminal Justice.