Transfer Rights & Responsibilities

Transfer Rights

Transfer students should expect to be treated as a native student (someone who started their college experience at the school). For transfer to another Maryland college or university, a student's rights are clearly described under Student Rights and Responsibilities. For other states, the National Association for College Admissions Counseling publishes the following rights and responsibilities:

When Applying to Transfer from one College or University to Another, You Have Rights:

Before Applying:

  • You have the right to receive information from colleges and universities about their transfer admission requirements, including all documents required for admission, housing, and comprehensive information about their institutions' costs, aid opportunities, practices, and packaging policies.
  • You have the right to receive information about transfer of courses, credit hours, quality points, and degree requirements. This includes information about transferring courses with grades below a "C," courses you may have repeated, and credit previously granted by examination or advance placement.
  • You should know admission officers at NACAC member institutions will not recruit students who are currently enrolled at other institutions unless those students initiate the inquiries, or unless in situations that provide transfer programs seek such cooperation.

When You Are Offered Admission:

  • You have the right to receive an official notification of acceptance at least one month prior to enrollment:
  • Written evaluation of courses and credits accepted for transfer credit and their course equivalences
  • An outline of transfer courses and requirements which these courses and requirements will satisfy for the degree you are seeking
  • A statement about your previous grade-point average/quality points and how they will affect or not affect (your new index)
  • A written analysis of the number of semesters/quarter-hours and credits required to complete a degree in your currently stated major field of study (if applicable).
  • You have the right to wait to respond to an offer of admission and/or financial aid until May 1. It is understood that May 1 will be the postmark date.
  • Colleges that request commitments to offers of admission and/or financial assistance and housing prior to May 1, must clearly offer you the opportunity to request (in writing) an extension until May 1. They must grant you this extension and your request may not jeopardize your status for admission and/or financial aid.


When You Apply to Transfer from one College or University to Another, You Have Responsibilities:

Before You Apply:

You have the responsibility to research and understand the transfer policies and procedures of each college and university to which you plan to apply, including admission, financial aid, scholarships and housing. This includes being aware of any deadlines, restrictions and other transfer criteria. You also have to be sure that you understand the policies of each college or university regarding deposits that you may be required to make before you enroll.

As You Apply:

You must complete all materials required for application and submit your application materials on or before the published deadlines. You should be the sole author of your applications.

After You Receive Your Admission Decisions:

You must notify each college or university which accepts you whether you are accepting or rejecting its offer. You should make these notifications as soon as you have made a final decision as to the college you wish to attend.
You may confirm your intention to enroll and, if required, submit a deposit to only one college or university. The exception to this arises if you are placed on a wait list by a college or university and are later admitted to that in situation. You may accept the offer and send a deposit. However, you must immediately notify a college or university at which you previously indicated your intention to enroll.


If you think your rights as a transfer applicant have been denied, you should contact the college or university immediately to request additional information. In addition, you should notify: NACAC, 1631 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA 22314-2818. NACAC will notify the president of the NACAC state or regional affiliation who will initiate an investigation of your complaint.

If you would like a copy of a Transfer Rights brochure, contact the NACAC national office:

Transfer Students' Rights and Responsibilities
c/o National Association for
College Admission Counseling
1631 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-2818

(703) 836-2222
(800) 822-6285
FAX (703) 836-8015

Search for a program or interest