Student Residency Policy


"Residency" is a legal term that carries numerous rights and responsibilities. Even if you have multiple homes, you may only have one legal residency. Allegany College of Maryland MUST follow state regulations from the COMAR (Code of Maryland Regulations) and federal law. Only students who can satisfactorily prove their legal residence may change it. Incomplete, false, and/or misleading information related to residency will result in the classification reverted to its original classification and may be subject to disciplinary action pursuant to the Code of Student conduct. If a reduced tuition rate was obtained as a result of the incomplete, false, and/or misleading information provided, the College reserves the right to retroactively adjust the correct tuition rate for each semester affected.


When you applied to ACM, you certified your residency (ie., in county, out of county, out of state); this original residency applies unless/until you make a permanent move to a different locality and successfully petition to change your residency.

  • If you want to change your residency, you must demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that you qualify for the change. Petitions must be submitted before the end of the semester for which you are requesting the change. Residency cannot be changed retroactively.
  • If you are under 18 years old, you are presumed to be financially dependant on your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) unless you have been emancipated by a court or marriage; your residency is where your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) live. If they are divorced/separated, you must demonstrated which parent provided at least 51% of your support.
  • If you are over 18 years old, your residency is where you live*
    *Unless your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) claimed you on their income taxes OR your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) provided at least 51% of  your financial support during the last 12 months.
  • You must be able to prove that you (or your parent/guardian as noted above) resided in the new locality for three (3) months before the semester began.
  • There are exceptions for special populations including active military, veterans, BRAC, and Maryland Dream Act.
  • You MAY NOT change your residency just to get lower tuition. You must plan to stay at your current address indefinitely - which must be the place you call "home".
  • Willowbrook Woods or other temporary housing MY NOT be your permanent address.


  • A Maryland driver's license (or state ID card with current address); if you do not have one, you may sign a written declaration explaining why, and this requirement can be waived for good cause.
  • Your tax return for the most recent year filed; if you did not file taxes, then you must submit the tax return filed by the person who claimed you as a dependent OR sign a written declaration explaining why no tax return was filed.
  • Plus, 2 forms of proof such as a mortgage/lease, notarized statement from the property owner, county tax bill, vehicle registration, voter registration, utility bill, selective service registration, Military Veteran records, public assistance/benefits records, or Financial Aid override in your name. Additional forms of proof may be required depending on the student's circumstances.

These forms of proof MUST show that you lived at your current address at least three (3) months before the start of the semester, and all documentation must be in the name of the student or person upon whom the student is financially dependent.

If you think you qualify, contact Student & Legal Affairs at (301)784-5206 to make an appointment. Be sure to bring your documentation! If your petition is denied, you may appeal to the Student Services Appeal Committee whose decision is final.

Search for a program or interest