The HESI Admission Assessment Exam (previously called Reach Exam) consists of seven
academic exams, as well as a personality profile that identifies the individual applicant’s
learning style. Individual scores are provided for each exam, and the scores are combined
to provide sub-scores in these areas:
- Reading Comprehension (55 items*) – Provides reading scenarios in order to measure
reading comprehension identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context,
passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge (55 items*) – Contains vocabulary terms that are
commonly used in both general English speaking settings and in health care fields.
- Grammar (55 items*) – contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important
terms and their uses, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.
- Basic Math Skills (55 items*) – Focuses on math skills needed for healthcare fields,
including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio
and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
- Biology (30 items**) – Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism,
cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.
- Chemistry (30 items**) – Contains exam items that cover matter, chemical equations
and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding,
- Anatomy and Physiology (30 items**) – Provides coverage of general terminology and
anatomical structures and systems.
NOTE: There is not a Physics section on this exam, it is referenced in the study guide;
however, that version is only used for Radiology programs.
- Learning Style (14 items) – assesses preferred learning styles
- Personality Profile (15 items) – assesses personality related to preferred learning
- Students receive study tips based on their learning style and personality profile.
*Includes 50 scoring and 5 pilot items
**Includes 25 scoring and 5 pilot items