Service Learning and Civic Engagement Tracking Forms
Dr. Diane McMahon, Faculty Director
Service Learning and Civic Engagement Center
Room H48, Humanities Building
Phone: (301) 784-5036
Student Guide to Service Learning or Civic Engagement Community Placement Opportunities
3 Easy Steps
Step 1 - Read the Service Learning and Civic Engagement Student Handbook found at the link at the top of this page. This handbook gives you access to the information you will need to get started, including community partner information, forms, and general service-learning information.
Step 2 - If applicable, follow the guidelines provided by your instructor, and review the list of community partners in the handbook to select a potential partner that meets your instructor's requirements and looks interesting to you. Call the organization you are interested in and discuss with the volunteer coordinator, director, or assigned staff person, the available service options (see page 5 in your hand book for a script to follow.) Tell the staff person what course you are taking and what your academic requirements and required hours are.
- Find assignments that meet the course and instructor's requirements.
- Determine if transportation is available and / or driving distance is acceptable.
- See if the hours of operation to perform the assignment fits your school/work schedule.
Note: Please do not choose a community partnership site that is not in the directory. If you would like the staff to explore adding a new partner, please contact DMcMahon@allegany.edu . Or, if there is information that needs updated in the directory, please email DMcMahon@allegany.edu us to let us know.
Step 3 - Complete and Turn in the Three Service-Learning forms:
DUE before the beginning of your placement:
1. ACM Student Contract Liability Form (Click on link to download, complete, and submit form to DMcMahon@allegany.edu .)
Once your placement has been confirmed with a partnership site, complete the Contract and Liability Waiver and obtain the signatures of the site supervisor and your course instructor. You are not authorized to begin your service hours until this form has been submitted. Submit the form to the SL/CE Center - Room H11a in the Humanities Building or submit the form to DMcMahon@allegany.edu . Report any problems to SL/CE as soon as possible, so that we may assist you.
DUE before the end of the semester:
2. ACM Service Time-Log-Eval Form (Click on link to download form. Keep your form updated and complete before the end of the semester and submit it to DMcMahon@allegany.edu .)
Complete the required form with days and times spent on site. When finished, give the form to the partnership site supervisor so that he/she can fill in the evaluation. Return the form to H11a or submit the form to DMcMahon@allegany.edu .
3. At the end of your service, please complete the following online ACM Service Tracking and Feedback form.