What is the HESI Exam?
The HESI Admission Assessment Exam (previously called Reach Exam) consists of seven academic exams, as well as a personality profile that identifies the individual applicant's learning style. Individual scores are provided for each exam, and the scores are combined to provide sub-scores in these areas:
- Reading Comprehension (55 items*) - Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge (55 items*) - Contains vocabulary terms that are commonly used in both general English speaking settings and in health care fields.
- Grammar (55 items*) - contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.
- Basic Math Skills (55 items*) - Focuses on math skills needed for healthcare fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
- Biology (30 items**) - Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.
- Chemistry (30 items**) - Contains exam items that cover matter, chemical equations and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding, etc.
- Anatomy and Physiology (30 items**) - Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
NOTE: There is not a Physics section on this exam, it is referenced in the study guide; however, that version is only used for Radiology programs.
- Learning Style (14 items) - assesses preferred learning styles
- Personality Profile (15 items) - assesses personality related to preferred learning style
- Students receive study tips based on their learning style and personality profile.
*Includes 50 scoring and 5 pilot items **Includes 25 scoring and 5 pilot items