Individual tutoring is available for many courses that are not supported by walk-in study labs. Students are encouraged to apply for an individual tutor early in the semester and to meet with the tutor on a regular basis. Tutors are assigned based on qualifications and availability. If a qualified tutor is not available, students will be placed on a waiting list. Please note that due to the limited availability of qualified tutors, ACM cannot guarantee that a tutor will be assigned
Most individual tutors are current students at Allegany College of Maryland or recent graduates. They provide the following assistance to students enrolled in credited courses at ACM:
- Review of course material
- Study skills
- Exam preparation
- Building confidence with academic ability
If you are interested in seeking an individual tutor, complete and submit the online application.
Once a student has submitted his/her application, every effort will be made to locate a qualified tutor. Students will receive a tutor assignment notification at their ACM college email address when a qualified tutor has been located. Students should contact the tutor within 48 hours at the listed ACM college email address to make arrangements for their first tutoring session.
Become a Student Tutor
One way to build professional credentials, to strengthen academic and people skills, and to earn some money is to become a Student Tutor. To qualify as a tutor, students must meet the following criteria:
- An overall (cumulative) grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- An A or B in the course(s) to be tutored. In the event that the student has taken a more advanced course that requires a strong understanding of lower-level courses, the grade in that course may be used.
- Sponsorship by an ACM faculty member. A signature is required.
- Good standing in the community.
1. Complete an application verifying qualifications including faculty signature.
2. Be interviewed by an SSC staff member to assess competency in the subject matter
and communication skills.
3. Begin the brief training process.
For more information about tutoring, contact the following offices:
Cumberland Student Success Center, Humanities, Room 58, 301-784-5551
Bedford County Campus Student Services Office, 814-652-9528, ext.6224 or 301-784-6224