Phlebotomy/EKG Technician - Program Goals & Learning Outcomes
- The graduate will be able to function safely and competently in the role of an entry level Phlebotomy technician or an EKG technician when working with clients, following the plan developed by the appropriate healthcare professional.
- The graduate will use critical thinking and problem solving skills when working with a diverse population of clients.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
- The student will be able to perform successful venipunctures using proper safety precautions.
- The student will list and/or demonstrate proper order of draw.
- The student will use critical thinking and problem skills relating to a variety of patients and illnesses.
- The student will be able to explain the functions of arteries, veins, and capillaries.
- The student will recognize differences of normal sinus rhythm and common cardiac arrhythmias.
- The student will describe the anatomy of the heart and the events that occur from excitation to contraction of cardiac muscle fibers.
- The student will use the electrocardiogram to identify and measure wave forms.
- The student will demonstrate respect for the client when attaching electrodes by not exposing the client unnecessarily.
- The student will be able to describe the procedure of performing an EKG.
- The student will demonstrate appropriate lead placements.
- The student will be able to describe the flow of blood through the cardiovascular system.