Pharmacy Technician - Program Goals & Learning Outcomes
- Graduates will demonstrate the ability to practice safely and professionally in the pharmacy area.
- Graduates will apply proper customer service procedures related to professional communication, appearance, and knowledge of allowed duties when working under a licensed pharmacist in a variety of settings.
- Graduates will demonstrate correct methods of dispensing medications from the start by correctly reading prescriptions, entering information into specialized software, preparing labels, counting medication, and dispensing the medication.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of the requirements for state registration and national certification, along with the required continuing education for continued registration.
- The graduate will be prepared to take and pass the exam for Maryland Board of Pharmacy certification.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Identify the role of the pharmacy technician in retail, hospital, and institutional settings.
- Demonstrate safe medication preparation.
- Perform mathematical calculations for dosage determinations and solution preparations.
- Discuss pharmacy technician duties as allowed in the state of Maryland, and how those duties may vary in other states, along with discussing required responsibilities of life-long learning required for maintaining certification.
- Properly measure, mix, count, label, record, and dispense medications.
- Use technology effectively to create medication labels and client records.
- Function safely, competently, and professionally in a clinical situation.