Nursing Assistant/Geriatric Aide - Program Goals & Learning Outcomes
- The graduate will be knowledgeable of the role of the Nursing Assistant/Geriatric Aide in delivering proper basic bedside care of the patient/client across the lifespan.
- The graduate will have the skills necessary to provide proper bedside care.
- Students will use critical thinking and problem solving skills for safe delivery of patient/client care.
- The graduate will be prepared to take and pass the certification test for the Maryland Board of Nursing certified nursing assistant.
- The graduate will assume responsibility for continuing learning and professional growth after graduation.
Program Level Student Learning Outcomes
The student will be able to:
- Identify general information pertaining to the role of the nursing assistant/geriatric aide in providing bedside care. (Multiple choice tests, direct questioning, discussion, 1 minute papers)
- Communicate professionally, clearly, and therapeutically with patients and co-workers. (Discussion, role play, geriatric interview)
- Demonstrate knowledge of caring for the patient in a healthcare environment. (Observation, direct/Socratic questioning, multiple choice tests)
- Function in a health care environment utilizing professional standards of conduct and safe standard precautions. (Check lists, observation/anecdotal notes, direct questioning, scenarios with simulation and written questions)
- Provide an environment that promotes safety and well-being for clients, caregivers, and others during the delivery of basic patient care across the life span. (Observation, role play, scenarios with simulation, group discussion, direct/Socratic questioning)
- Discuss common health problems associated with each body system. (Group discussion, written disease paper)
- Demonstrate safe decision making in the delivery of quality, cost-effective care to a diverse patient population. (Observation, role play, scenarios with simulation, group discussion, direct/Socratic questioning, concept mapping)
- Solve problems using safe, creative, analytical thinking. (Scenarios with multiple choice and multiple response questions, concept mapping)
- Describe the requirements necessary to maintain certification as a nursing assistant/geriatric aide in the state of Maryland. (Written test, direct questioning)