Are you a creative problem solver? Do people say you think outside the box? Do you enjoy working with computers and understanding how networks function? Are you a thrill seeker or someone who doesn't back down from a challenge? Do you display a detective-like thought processes that enables you to analyze how to do and use things differently than intended. Do you possess a good sense of right and wrong and want to help serve and protect others? If so, you have the qualities of a good cybersecurity specialist.
Cybersecurity refers to the preventative methods used to protect digital information from being stolen, compromised or attacked. Cybersecurity is the hottest area in technology right now - growing twice as quickly as other IT jobs. As cybersecurity attacks become more prevalent, the need for trained and certified workers in this industry will continue to rise.
Cybersecurity Quick Facts:
- There are 10 million cyber attacks per day costing $100 billion
- 400,000 cyber positions are available in the United States
- 20,000 of those cyber positions are in Maryland
- 14 community colleges across Maryland callaborate to form Cyber Pathways across Maryland
In today's worldwide environment, many threats exist that require skilled professionals to help secure and protect important information that resides on our global networks. The increased risk of cyber-attacks is a driving demand for cybersecurity professionals. At Allegany College of Maryland, we help prepare students with the right traits and skills to become cybersecurity professionals.
What Skills? Business ethics, problem-solving ability, verbal and written communication skills, experience with a wide range of computer systems and security tools, flexibility and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced atmosphere, as well as dependability and integrity, networking and hardware skills. (Graduates may have to pass background checks and obtain security clearances for employment.)
Industry certifications are critical, ACM prepares you for the following:
- CompTIA Security+: the approved certification by U.S. Dept. of Defense and entry-level certification for companies such as IBM and US government contractors such as CSC, General Dynamics and Northrop Grumman.
- CompTIA A+: the vendor neutral industry recognized certification held by over 1,000,000 IT professionals.
- Cisco CCENT & CCNA: designed by the industry leader in IP networking and provides the education and training required for installing, monitoring, and troubleshooting network infrastructure.
Programs and courses are designed to provide rigorous, hands-on, academic training through a combination of both classroom and on-line instruction. Take a course to prepare for certification or continue on with our One-year Cybersecurity certificate, Two-Year Associate of Applied Science or Associate of Science options!
Allegany College is a part of Cyber Pathways Across Maryland (CPAM) - a statewide career pathway for workers of all educational and skill levels. It links employers across Maryland/DC to students(including local partners IBM & Willetts Systems) and provides virtual internship opportunities.
As a Cybersecurity program student, you'll expand your knowledge through a variety of challenging courses and career training classes. Click the link below to view a full listing of program courses and their descriptions in the credit catalog.Career Program
Computer Science / Cybersecurity / Information Systems
These links open to specific catalog pages and are best viewed through Firefox, Crome, or Internet Explorer. Safari browsers will not link to the specific page.
Cybersecurity jobs are among the fastest growing according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. For grads with the right skill set, many on-site and telecommuting career positions are available.
- Security Engineer
- Security Analyst
- Information Security Analyst
- Information Security Engineer
- Network Security Engineer
- Information Security Manager
- Information Assurance Engineer
- Senior IT Auditor
- Security Administrator
Maryland is the Epicenter for innovation in Cybersecurity. There are close to 20,000 open cybersecurity jobs available in more than 1,800 cybersecurity companies in Maryland with:
- 50 Federal Agencies
- National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence
- 12 Major Military Installations
- Defense Information Systems Agency
- Home to the U.S. Cyber Command
- National Security Agency and NIST
For entry-level positions in targeted occupations, median earnings average $25.43/hour in Maryland. The average salary for all IT job postings was $77,642, while the average salary for a cybersecurity posting was $93,028.
*Some careers may require a bachelor's degree, further education or additional training.
View Salary Information from the U.S. Dept. of Labor.
A.A., Allegany College of Maryland
B.S., M.B.A., Frostburg State University
B.S., Lock Haven University
Graduate study at Shippensburg University
B.S,. University of Rochester, NY
M.S., University of Vermont
B.S,. Park University
M.S., University of Phoenix