Transfer Scholarships

Financial Aid Search Programs
When applying for scholarships, students should be aware of deadlines and carefully follow the instructions. A transfer advisor or ACM academic advisor can help you prepare the documentation. The ACM Reading and Writing Center can assist with the essays and proofreading of the final draft. Also be aware that most scholarships are geared toward fall transfers. Few scholarships are available for transfers in the spring.

The following are some FREE financial aid search programs.

  • FinAid - A "free, comprehensive, independent & objective guide to financial aid." This extensive page lists several scholarship search programs, instructions for the federal form, information on loans and lenders, and college planning sites. The site also includes a free "Financial Aid Estimation Form," which allows parents/students to enter data to estimate aid qualifications.
  • FAFSA - Students/parents who are going to file a free Federal Financial Aid Form can do so online through this address. It may be helpful to fill out the standard form prior to filling it out on-line as tax records must be used to complete the form. NOTE: The FAFSA Code # for Allegany College is 002057.
  • Fastweb - Free scholarship information, sorted by major.
  • UNCF - The nations largest minority education organization.
  • AAUW - Fellowships, grants, and awards by the American Association of University Women.
  • IEFA - Scholarship search for international students.
  • MHEC - The MARYLAND HIGHER EDUCATION COMMISSION offers these programs for Maryland residents. This site offers descriptions of programs, eligibility and the application process.


Special Transfer Scholarships

This section provides information about special scholarships. Additionally, students should contact the Financial Aid Office of each institution to which they plan to apply for more transfer scholarship information.

Boren Scholarship – This scholarship provides support for U.S. undergraduates who are studying abroad.

Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship - The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program was established by Congress in 1986 to honor Senator Barry M. Goldwater, who served his country for 56 years as a soldier and statesman, including 30 years of service in the U.S. Senate. The purpose of the Foundation is to provide a continuing source of highly qualified scientists, mathematicians, and engineers by awarding scholarships to college students who intend to pursue careers in these fields.

Frostburg State University Scholarships - Frostburg State University offers a variety of institutional and departmental scholarships. The amounts of these awards vary, and each has its own set of requirements that must meet in order to be eligible. Several scholarships are for transfer students only, and a few are specifically for Allegany College of Maryland transfer students.

Frostburg State University Transfer Scholarship - Maryland community college graduates who complete a transfer program or selected career program with a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average are automatically awarded a scholarship equivalent to half of the in-state tuition at FSU. Call the FSU Admissions Office at 301-687-4201 for more information.

Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarships - The mission of the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation is to help young people of exceptional promise reach their full potential through education. They focus in particular on scholarships for outstanding individuals with financial need.

JKCF Undergraduate Transfer - This program awards scholarships worth up to $30,000 each to students and recent alumni from community colleges or two-year institutions that will pursue bachelor's degrees at four-year institutions.

University System of Maryland - Regents Scholarships - for the following institutions: University of Maryland, Baltimore (Professional Schools); University of Maryland, College Park; Bowie State University; Towson University; University of Maryland Eastern Shore; Coppin State College; Frostburg State University; Salisbury University; University of Baltimore; University of Maryland University College; University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC). The Regents offers a variety of scholarships; many cover the full cost of attending of one of the above schools.

Morris K. Udall Foundation – Scholarships are awarded to undergraduate students who are pursuing careers related to the environment, including science, educations, engineering, and social science fields.

Teach Grant/Loan Program - The Federal Government recently implemented a TEACH grant program for students preparing to become teachers. Students must meet all qualifications and agree to teach. For those students in the program who do not satisfy the requirements, the grant will be converted to a low interest loan.

Transfer Academic Excellence Scholarship – The University of Maryland, College Park offers scholarships for transfer students. This highly competitive scholarship awards full or partial tuition for up to four consecutive semesters to especially talented students. Applicants must be Maryland residents who are transferring from a Maryland Community College.

Maryland 2+2 Transfer Scholarship - This scholarship is designed to assist and encourage transfer students from Maryland community colleges to attend a 4-year institution within the State. Students must be enrolled in an eligible accredited Maryland postsecondary institution. The student or his/her parents (if you are a dependent student) must be Maryland residents. The student must be currently enrolled at a community college in Maryland and have earned an associate degree by the end of the semester in which you plan to transfer. In addition, the student must also be accepted for admission to a degree program at a public 4-year higher education institution or a private nonprofit 4-year institution of higher education in Maryland and intend to enroll in order to complete a bachelor's program. The award is need-based so students must submit FAFSA applications.

Search for a program or interest