Reverse Transfer

Reverse transfer can be defined in two ways:

1) Students transferring from a four-year college to a community college to complete an associate degree program

2) Students who are working on a bachelor's degree at a four-year college transferring credit back to a community college to earn an associate degree.

Students who are transferring from a four-year college into an associate degree at ACM must have their official transcripts sent to the ACM Admissions Office for evaluation. The Associate Registrar will review the credits and apply the appropriate transferable courses to the ACM program.

A growing trend with community college students is to transfer credits earned at a four-year college back to the community college to earn an associate degree. Students may have attended the four-year college for several semesters before transferring credit and graduating from the community college. ACM associate degrees require between 60 and 70 credits while certificates include 30 or more credits. According to Academic Regulation F3,

"A student who has completed at least half of the required coursework in a curriculum and wants to be admitted to candidacy for the Associate degree can transfer back to the college the remaining coursework. A student should contact the Associate Registrar to ascertain the transferability of coursework."

In addition students must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 or higher in the required courses, be in good standing with the college, and have satisfied all financial obligations to the college. Also students must apply for graduation before the published deadline.

For more information about reverse transfer, contact

Many four-year colleges are encouraging students to transfer credits back to their community college and to graduate with an associate degree. This is a part of the National Completion Agenda which is encouraging students to complete degrees.

Search for a program or interest