MISSION, PHILOSOPHY AND GOALS OF THE PROGRAM
Allegany College of Maryland's Medical Laboratory Technology Curriculum was started in 1973. The program is primarily a two-year career program. Traditionally, the program has trained graduates to work in patient care laboratories. The program now has a number of options to diversify the employment opportunities available to its graduates. The new options give graduates opportunities outside of clinical laboratories in settings such as biotechnology laboratories in which to gain employment. The program includes both part-time and full-time students.
The Medical Laboratory Technology program at Allegany College of Maryland is responsive to the changing work force needs of the clinical laboratory profession and is dedicated to meeting these needs.
Our focus is to provide a solid foundation of laboratory technical competence and knowledge. We strive to instill in students the importance of lifelong learning and continual professional growth. Basic to the learning environment is a holistic and compassionate care for self and others.PHILOSOPHY
The Curriculum strives to provide:
1. A sound foundation in the principles of natural, physical, and biological
2. An application of these scientific principles to the performance of
3. Competent graduates to perform laboratory procedures which aid the
physician in diagnosis and treatment of disease.
The Program strives to provide:
1. Graduates with those personal characteristics and professional skills
essential to the field of medical technical work.
2. An adequate number of trained personnel to fill the needs of hospitals, private and
public health laboratories.
3. Graduates with an adequate background to successfully pass the national
4. The opportunity for education and experience for those desiring an education
in medical laboratory science.
5. A means for upward mobility for certified laboratory assistant, to medical
laboratory technicians, and medical technologists.
6. Promotion for programs of continuing education.
7. Wellness promotion.
Allegany College of Maryland's Medical Laboratory Technology program is accredited by:
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS)
5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018-5119.