Pathways For Success (Trio/Student Support Services)
The Pathways For Success Program at Allegany College of Maryland (ACM) is a TRIO Student Support Services project funded through a grant from the U.S. Department of Education. Program goals include increasing the retention, graduation and transfer rates of eligible students, as well as improving student grade point averages.
Who qualifies to be a Pathways For Success student?
Pathways For Success serves 140 eligible, enrolled ACM students annually at the Cumberland Campus. To be eligible for Pathways For Success, a student must
- Be a citizen or national of the United States OR meet residency requirements for federal student financial aid;
- Be enrolled in ACM or accepted for enrollment in the next academic term;
- Have a need for academic support as determined by ACM; and
- Be a low-income student, a first-generation college student, OR a student with disabilities.
Please check with the Pathways For Success office for additional eligibility and participation criteria.
How do I become a Pathways For Success student?
- Student completes program application;
- Program will verify student eligibility;
- Eligible students will be interviewed by program staff;
- Accepted students will meet with their Pathways For Success advisor to develop their Student Success Plans.
- Additional eligible students may be placed on a wait list for program admission.
Please note that program enrollment is limited to 140 students, so decisions are based, in part, on space availability.
What services does the program provide?
Pathways For Success provides a supportive environment on campus for students with low-income or first-generation status and students with disabilities. The program offers the following academic services to assist Pathways For Success students in achieving their academic goals:
- Tutoring in math, science, and writing/English (and other subjects as needed)
- One-on-one academic advising
- Career advising
- Transfer advising
- Financial aid advising
- Peer mentoring
- Support groups
- Workshops on topics such as financial literacy
How do I contact the Pathways For Success Program?
The Pathways For Success Program is located in Room 57 of the Humanities Building on the Cumberland Campus. Interested students at the Cumberland Campus should contact the Pathways For Success office at (301)784-5630 for more information on the program.
In its first year, the Pathways For Success Program has an annual operating budget of $276,149. The US Department of Education provides funding for the Pathways program in the amount of $219,479 per year through the TRIO Student Support Services initiative, comprising approximately 80% of the total initial operating budget. Remaining resources in the first year ($56,670, representing approximately 20% of program support) are provided through Allegany College of Maryland.