Main Content

Complete the Transfer Process

  • Send a Final ACM Transcript
    After students complete their last courses at ACM, they request a final academic transcript be sent to the new college or university. Transcripts may be requested through the ACM Admissions/Registration Office or by completing the electronic form at  A nominal fee is charged for each transcript requested.
    When students request a final ACM transcript be sent to the new school, they should ask for a  personal copy.  Students should keep the personal copy in a secure file for future personal or job references.  In addition to keeping a copy of the transcript, students should keep directions and access codes for ACM Student Webadvisor.
  • Application received but…
    After submitting the application, a student will receive a notification from the transfer school.  The notification may be electronic or may come through the mail.  The notification should acknowledge the receipt of the application and may request any missing information or possibly ask for additional information or payment of fees.  If a notification is not received within a reasonable time span (several week, for early application or a few weeks or days, for late application depending on the closeness of the entering semester), the student should call or email the admissions office at the new school.
  • Acceptance
    Since the admission process varies, the admissions letter may be mailed quickly or received after what may seem like a long wait.  Colleges may follow a rolling admissions policy, meaning as students apply and are recognized as satisfying admissions requirement, they are admitted.  Other colleges may wait until a certain date to review applications.  After reviewing a stack of applications, they will admit the best candidates.  Colleges with competitive admissions may place students whose academic credentials are at the lower end of their acceptance level on a wait list.  A decision for admission will be made at a later time.
  • More information and fees
    After offering admission, the college may request additional information such as health records and/or proof of vaccinations.  Additional fees may be assessed at this time.

    For students with disabilities or in need of special accommodations, this would be a good time to contact the disability office at your new school.  The new school may require copies of your disability evaluation and/or IEP.  Students should not expect to receive immediate assistance for accommodations requests made after the semester begins.

  • Transfer Credit Evaluation
    A written evaluation of transferable credits should be mailed within a month of acceptance to the college.  If the evaluation is not received prior to registering for courses, the student should contact the admissions office at the new school.

    When the evaluation is received, the student should review it carefully.  The evaluation may have been processed electronically or by hand, so the students should double check it to make sure that all of the courses that were expected to transfer have been accepted.  Some courses may have been omitted, so the student should contact the admissions office at the new school to determine the reason.  Liberal arts courses will transfer to most colleges, but many technical or career courses may not.  New courses at ACM, special topics course, and independent studies courses may not be evaluated and may show as not transferable.  To help with the process, the student should keep the syllabi for the courses and any major projects required by the courses.  A petition will need to be submitted to the appropriate office or committee at the new school to have these credits accepted.

    If a student have questions about the evaluation and need some assistance in interpreting it, ask an ACM transfer advisor to help. 

  • Registration
    The registration process, enrolling in classes, may be different at a new school.  ACM students are accustomed to registering any day after the start of early registration though the first week of classes.  Transfer colleges may have one or a few days set for registering transfer students.  New students may need to register online and be faced an unfamiliar process.  Other schools may have a special transfer registration orientation, and some schools may not register transfer students until the day before classes begin.

  • To assist with the registration process:

    • Apply early
    • Provide all of the documentation the new school requires.
    • Make sure your accounts at ACM are all paid.
    • Attend the first registration session to which you are invited.
      • If the session is schedule while ACM classes are being conducted, notify ACM instructors and make arrangements to make up missed class work.
      • The selection of classes may be lessened if you attend a later session.
      • Be familiar with the new college’s catalog and have an idea of courses you plan to take.  Develop a tentative education plan before going to register.
      • Since advisors may not have access to transfer credit evaluations, bring a copy.
      • If questions arise about what the advisors recommend, ask questions.

    Frostburg State University
    generally schedules five transfer registration days for the fall semester and two or three for the spring.  The first session for fall is usually late April and subsequent sessions are offered in June, July, and August.  The last session is conducted the business day before classes begin.  Sessions for spring registration are held in late November or early December and on the business day before classes begin.  In all cases, you must have been admitted at least two weeks prior to the session’s date, meaning ALL of your paperwork must be completed.  Registration on the last business day before classes begin is not recommended. Class selection will be limited, and the entire process may be complicated.

  • Self Advocacy
    As was mentioned in the previous section, students should be somewhat familiar with their new schools requirements before attending.  Students can accomplish this by reviewing the catalog, becoming familiar with the general education and major requirements, and having a general idea of the required courses.

    Most importantly, ask questions.  These are some examples:
    • I think I have already taken an equivalent course, could you please check?
    • Do I have the prerequisite to take that course?
    • Why am I taking that course?  Is it required of my major?
    • What is the process to appeal to have a course indicated as “non-transferable” to have it transfer?

  • All advisors are not aware of the process for registering a transfer student.  Transfer students have a greater degree of flexibility in satisfying general education requirements when transferring to a Maryland public four-year college.  Admission and registration staff are knowledgeable about the flexibility, but a department advisor may not.  For more details on transferring to a Maryland school, go to

  • Begin Classes
    The first day of classes may be a challenge at a new school.  The campus may be much larger than ACM and the buildings more confusing.  Remember the first day of high school or the first day at ACM.  It took time to become familiar with new surroundings, but after a short time, it became comfortable.  Again, do not be afraid to ask questions.  To help prepare for that first day, students visit campus and wander the hallways and pathways before classes begin, find the restrooms, the best coffee on campus, advisor’s and instructors’ offices, the library, and other support services.

    Students often comment that a big university is not as friendly as a small community college.  With careful planning, students can have most of their general courses completed at ACM and they only need to complete their major courses at the large university.  Students will often find that major professors are truly involved in educating the major’s students.  Advisors want the students in their major to succeed, and they enjoy discussing the theories and intricacies of the major with students.  A student who enjoys one of your instructor’s lectures should ask if they can stop by his/her office to discuss it.  Students may find that the instructor becomes an important mentor.

  • Reverse Transfer
    Reverse transfer can be defined in two ways, 1) students transferring from a four-year college to a community college to complete an associate degree program, and 2) students who are working on a bachelor’s degree at a four-year college transferring credit back to a community college to earn an associate degree.

    Students who are transferring from a four-year college into an associate degree at ACM must have their official transcripts sent to the ACM Admissions Office for evaluation.  The Associate Registrar will review the credits and apply the appropriate transferable courses to the ACM program.

    A growing trend with community college students is to transfer credits earned at a four-year college back to the community college to earn an associate degree.  Students may have attended the four-year college for several semesters before transferring credit and graduating from the community college.  ACM associate degrees require between 60 and 70 credits while certificates include 30 or more credits.  According to Academic Regulation F3,

"A student who has completed at least half of the required coursework in a curriculum and wants to be admitted to candidacy for the Associate’s degree can transfer back to the college the remaining coursework. A student should contact the Associate Registrar to ascertain the transferability of coursework."

In addition students must have an overall grade point average of 2.0 or higher in the required courses, be in good standing with the college, and have satisfied all financial obligations to the college.  Also students must apply for graduation before the published deadline.

Many four-year colleges are encouraging students to transfer credits back to their community college and to graduate with an associate’s degree.  This is a part of the National Completion Agenda which is encouraging students to complete degrees.
  • Transfer Rights
    Transfer students should expect to be treated as a native student (someone who started their college experience at the school).  For transfer to another Maryland college or university, a student’s rights are clearly described under Student Rights and Responsibilities. For other states, the National Association for College Admissions Counseling publishes the following rights and responsibilities:

    When Applying to Transfer from one College or University to Another, You Have Rights:

    Before Applying:
    • You have the right to receive information from colleges and universities about their transfer admission requirements, including all documents required for admission, housing, and comprehensive information about their institutions’ costs, aid     opportunities, practices, and packaging policies.
    • You have the right to receive information about transfer of courses, credit hours, quality points, and degree requirements. This includes information about transferring courses with grades below a “C,” courses you may have repeated, and credit previously granted by examination or advance placement.
    • You should know admission officers at NACAC member institutions will not recruit students who are currently enrolled at other institutions unless those students initiate the inquiries, or unless in situations that provide transfer programs seek such cooperation.

      When You Are Offered Admission:
    • You have the right to receive an official notification of acceptance and at least one         month prior to enrollment:
      • Written evaluation of courses and credits accepted for transfer credit and their course equivalences;
      • An outline of transfer courses and requirements which these courses and requirements will satisfy for the degree you are seeking;
      • A statement about your previous grade-point average/quality points and how they will affect or not affect (your new index);
      • A written analysis of the number of semesters/quarter-hours and credits required to complete a degree in your currently stated major field of study (if applicable).
    • You have the right to wait to respond to an offer of admission and/or financial aid until May 1. It is under stood that May 1 will be the postmark date.
    • Colleges that request commitments to offers of admission and/or financial assistance housing prior to May 1, must clearly offer you the opportunity to request (in writing) an extension until May 1. They must grant you this extension and your request may not jeopardize your status for admission and/or financial aid.

When You Apply to Transfer from one College or University to Another, You Have Responsibilities:

Before You Apply:

  • You have the responsibility to research and understand the transfer policies and procedures of each college and university to which you plan to apply, including ad mission, financial aid, scholarships and housing. This includes being aware of any deadlines, restrictions and other transfer criteria. You also have to be sure that you understand the policies of each college or university regarding deposits that you may be required to make before you enroll.

As You Apply:

  • You must complete all materials required for application and submit your application materials on or before the published deadlines. You should be the sole author of your applications.

    After You Receive Your Admission Decisions:
  • You must notify each college or university which accepts you whether you are accepting or rejecting its offer. You should make these notifications as soon as you have made a final decision as to the college you wish to attend.
  • You may confirm your intention to enroll and, if required, submit a deposit to only one college or university. The exception to this arises if you are placed on a wait list by a college or university and are later admitted to that in situation. You may accept the offer and send a deposit. However, you must immediately notify a college or university at which you previously indicated your intention to enroll.

If you think your rights as a transfer applicant have been denied, you should contact the college or university immediately to request additional information. In addition, you should notify: NACAC, 1631 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA 22314-2818. NACAC will notify the president of the NACAC state or regional affiliation who will initiate an investigation of your complaint.

If you would like a copy of a Transfer Rights brochure, contact the NACAC national office:

Transfer Students’ Rights and Responsibilities
c/o National Association for
College Admission Counseling
1631 Prince Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-2818

(703) 836-2222    |    (800) 822-6285    |    FAX (703) 836-8015