Select a Transfer College
Students should look for colleges offering their major, but should also consider other characteristics.
- Location- far away or close to home, warmer climate or near ski resorts, big cities or rural.
- Online or residential- while complete degree program may be offered online, other programs may require partial or full residency at the college.
- Size- small with the personal touch, big and many activities available, mid-size and personal with many activities.
- Affiliation- private, church-affiliated; private not church affiliated, public or semi-public.
- Social climate- quiet or many activities.
- Athletics-Division I football to only intramurals.
- Accreditation- Is the college accredited by one of the regional accrediting bodies or by a specialized accrediting body, and is the program accredited by a national association?
- MOST IMPORTANTLY Cost-The cost of attending some colleges can be extremely high. Financial assistance may be abundant or be limited.
For transfer advising notes on some of the most popular college and universities, click on the college or university below.
Campus Transfer Coordinators
Transfer advisors are available at the three campuses of Allegany College of Maryland to assist with the selection of colleges and education planning.
- Cumberland: Bill Devlin, email@example.com, 301-784-5553
- Bedford County: Robin Swindell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 814-652-9528 x6202
- Somerset County: Debra Hoover, email@example.com, 814-445-9848 x6106
Each campus offers a series of transfer events in which representatives from four-year colleges and universities are available to discuss transfer possibilities with students. The Cumberland Campus typically holds a large transfer fair with over 30 colleges attending in early October. Smaller, mini-transfer days are scheduled in November, February, and April. Additionally, individual schools may schedule visits throughout the school year. The Pennsylvania campuses offer similar events. Students should contact one of the campus transfer coordinators for a schedule of events.
College Search Links:
Try one or more of these free sites to search for potential colleges and universities.
- Peterson College Search
- ARTSYS - (Search for programs at Maryland private and public colleges)
- College View
- CollegeNet - (under Search for Colleges)
- USA News Education - (under Finding the Right College)
- Maryland Mentor - (under Selecting a College)
- Yahoo Education
Other College Search Links:
For an alphabetical listing of US colleges and universities - http://www.clas.ufl.edu/CLAS/american-universities.html
For a listing of US colleges and universities by state - http://www.utexas.edu/world/univ/state
For a list of Maryland community colleges and four-year universities - http://www.mhec.state.md.us/higherEd/colleges_universities/index.asp
Academic Common Market
To reduce the expense of attending an out-of-state college, consider transferring to an Academic Common Market college. The Academic Common Market is an agreement among 15 southern states including Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia. Unfortunately Pennsylvania residents are not eligible. The agreement provides students with the opportunity to complete majors not offered in their home state, at colleges or universities in another state and to pay in-state tuition. For more details, visit the Academic Common Market website; click on Search for Programs to determine eligible majors.
Online education makes it possible for Allegany College of Maryland students to continue their education without leaving home. Students can earn a baccalaureate degree or a certificate on-line by attending classes at any time of day, in any place the students choose. Students can complete course work without setting foot in a classroom by communication with their classes online. Many four-year universities allow students to complete entire degrees or portions of degree programs online.
In Maryland, the University of Maryland, University College (UMUC) is a major provider of degrees online, offering 17 majors and 21 minors. For more information about online programs at UMUC, contact their Community College Relations Office. To help plan for transfer to one of these programs, go to ARTSYS. This online transfer articulation site provides a list of ACM courses that are recommended for transfer to UMUC.
The following Allegany College of Maryland (ACM) associate's degrees are a part of an Alliance with the University of Maryland University College (UMUC). The bachelor's degree programs are closely linked allowing students to complete the associate degree at ACM and flow smoothly into the bachelor's degree.Please Note: Additional degree options are available beyond these articulated programs. To learn how your community college credits will transfer to UMUC, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-888-UMUC (8682).
|ACM Associate Degree||UMUC Bachelor Degree|
|Accounting AA||Accounting (Business Administration minor) BS|
|Accounting AA||Management Studies BS|
|Business Administration AA||Global Business and Public Policy BS|
|Business Administration AA||Management Studies BS|
|Criminology AA||Criminal Justice BS|
|General Studies AA||Fire Service Administration BS|
|General Studies AA||Gerontology BS|
|General Studies AA||Management Studies BS|
|Medical Laboratory Technology AAS||Laboratory Management BTPS|
|Medical Laboratory Technology-Biotechnology AAS||Biotechnology BS|
|Medical Laboratory Technology-Biotechnology AAS||Laboratory Management BTPS|
University of Phoenix
The University of Phoenix undergraduate programs are developed in cooperation with business and industry leaders, so that students learn only the most current business methods and practices. Courses last 5-6 weeks and are taken one at a time to ensure students truly learn the subject matter.
- Bachelor of Science in Business/Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Business/Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business/e-Business
- Bachelor of Science in Business/Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Business/Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business/Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Human Services/Management
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Management
- RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Administration
University of Phoenix has established articulated programs with Allegany College of Maryland that lead to bachelor's degrees in business, nursing, and information technology. Visit the Transfer Advising Notes section for details about articulated programs with the University of Phoenix, contact your advisor, the Student Success Center at (301) 784-5551, or Pennsylvania Student Services for additional information.
Additional Online Colleges
Explore one of these sites to identify other online programs. Remember that some of these sites feature colleges that have paid for their listings.
The Online Degree Programs from the Directory of Schools is designed for students seeking online degrees via Distance Education Programs for colleges and universities in the USA or Canada. It features over 850 accredited online degree programs to help students meet their continuing education needs. Prospective students may use their Search by Zip to find online college campus, schools, or universities that serve you.
Online Degrees.net can help students find the resources needed to choose an online or local degree program that suits their needs.
ELearners.com helps students research online degrees, online programs, online courses and campus programs from online colleges, universities and schools. It also provides advice for new online learners and resources about online education.
Using Online Degrees Today, students can prepare for a successful career in the online subject of their choice. Whether they are interested in online degrees in the areas of business, accounting, technology, nursing, criminal justice, web design and more, there is an online degree education program available. Online degrees are available for associates, bachelors, masters, and certificate programs in most fields.