Democracy Commitment Events
:::::::::::::::: All presentations are free and open to the public! ::::::::::::::::
Upcoming spring 2014 Democracy Commitment events will be available soon.
The Democracy Commitment and Leadership program proudly present...the Honorable Ken Hechler, who will talk about his amazing life!
DATE: Monday, March 3, 2014
TIME: 11:00 - 12:00 p.m.
LOCATION: ACM College Center, Zimmer Theatre
· former member of the United States congress,
· former West Virginia Secretary of State,
· in WWII, interviewed defendants at the Nuremburg trials including Herman Göring
· published the WWII book Bridge at Remagen
· speechwriter for President Truman.
· helped author the Coal Mine Safety and Health Act
· Marched with Dr. King at Selma
· At age 99, he is the oldest living former member of Congress.
The Democracy Commitment will sponsor a film series this spring semester of the documentary Race: The Power of Illusion.
The series serves as a follow-up to the fall’s Campus Conversations on Race and Ethnic Tensions. Over 260 people attended the eight Campus Conversations, sharing their experiences, thoughts and questions about race/ethnicity and public policy. We received encouraging written feedback to continue with this important topic, and the Democracy Commitment will do so with a series of events for spring.
WHAT: Episode Two: The House We Live In
Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 2:00-3:15
Watch for more details.