IRS DATA RETRIEVAL FACT SHEET
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is a process that helps simplify the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by allowing online FAFSA filers to retrieve tax return data directly from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You will no longer be required to supply our office with a copy of your federal tax return. The retrieval tool is a secure process that saves time and increases accuracy of your FAFSA data.
For the 2013-2014 academic year, the IRS data retrieval process is tentatively scheduled to be available late February 2013.
- Electronically filed tax return information will be available online from the IRS website (www.irs.gov) in 1-2 weeks after your return is filed.
- Tax return data from paper returns will be available in 6-8 weeks.
Estimating Taxes and FAFSA Corrections
Since you may complete the 2013-2014 FAFSA beginning January 1st, (of the year for which you need aid) you still have the option of estimating taxes and manually entering your data. Approximately April 1, 2013, Federal Student Aid will send reminder notifications stating that once you have filed your income tax return, you should use the FAFSA corrections process to update your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval process.
If you choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval process or change any of the retrieved data, you will need to explain to the Student Financial Aid Office why information you provided is more accurate than data that would have been obtained directly from the IRS. If you elect to not use the retrieval process, you will be subject to being selected for verification and will be required to support your reported FAFSA data with information obtained directly from the IRS (tax return transcript - www.irs.gov).
For 2013-2014, applicants filing an initial or renewal application or making a correction are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if he or she meets all of the following criteria:
- Must have valid SSN
- Must have filed a 2012 federal tax return
- Must have unchanged marital status since December 31, 2012
You cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if any of the following apply:
- Parents with all zeroes for SSN
- Any student or parent with a marital status date of January 1, 2013 or later
- Any student or parent who indicates they have not already filed a tax return or will not file a tax return
- A married independent applicant and spouse who filed separate tax returns
- Married parents of a dependent student who filed separate tax returns
- The applicant, parent, or spouse, as applicable, who have filed an amended tax return