Main Content
Contact Information:
Dr. Renee Conner

Student Residency

Just living in Allegany County (or elsewhere in Maryland) isn’t enough!
Allegany College of Maryland MUST follow state regulations* and federal law.

Here are the general rules:

  • If you are under 24 years old, you are presumed to be financially dependant on your parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
    Therefore, your residency is where your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) live.
    . . . . Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter if you have been self-supporting, have filed your own income taxes, have lived on your own and/or have no relationship with your parent(s) – if you are under 24 years old.
  • If you are under 24 years old but meet certain criteria, your residency is where you live.
    you are married,
    you have a child for whom you provide at least ½ his/her financial support,
    you are a veteran,
    both of your parents are deceased,
    you are/were a ward of the court.
  • If you are over 24 years old, your residency is where you live
    . . . . Unless your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) claimed you on their income taxes OR your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) provided more than ½ of your financial support during the last 12 months, then your residency is their residency.
  • To prove your residency, you MUST have a Maryland driver’s license (or state ID card with your current address), plus a lease, rental receipts (with street address), or notarized statement from your landlord.
    In unusual circumstances, we might accept two alternate forms of proof (such as vehicle registration, voter registration, utility bills, income tax return, etc.).
  • These forms of proof MUST show that you lived at your current address at least 90 days before the start of the semester.
  • You MAY NOT change residency just to get lower tuition. You must plan to stay at your current address – which must be the place you call “home”.
  • Willowbrook Woods MAY NOT be your permanent address.

If you think you qualify, pick up a petition in the Dean of Student and Legal Affairs' Office, then make an appointment to meet with the Dean. Be sure to bring your documentation!